In the modern age in which we live, businesses and tax-exempt organizations of all sizes can get involved in complex financial transactions. I’m thankful that my career in public accounting grants me the opportunity to learn something new on a regular basis. Our clients need someone who is able to partner with them and help them navigate through their financial arrangements.
I consider my highest and best use at HSS to serve as a technical resource for accounting and auditing related matters. I spend a significant amount of my time researching new and existing accounting pronouncements, and I enjoy breaking these down into ideas that can be easily explained to our clients and HSS team members. It is often said that “accounting is the language of business.” I am here to serve as a consultant and advisor to my clients, helping them interpret and understand what it is their financial statements are telling them.
The biggest lesson in my career has been to learn to take challenges in stride and keep perspective. No matter how hard you try to develop the perfect game plan, you need to be able to quickly adapt to unforeseen changes in circumstances. Public accounting is amazingly fluid and has given me the opportunity to help clients overcome financial obstacles they felt were insurmountable. Nothing is more rewarding than that.
Education and Licensing
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Accounting, Linfield College
- Licensed to practice in the State of Oregon
- Peer reviewer in AICPA peer review program
Professional and Community Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Member
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), Member
- HSS Construction Industry Team, Member
- HSS Nonprofit Industry Team, Member
- HSS Technology Committee, Chairman
- Fruit and Flower Day Nursery (a nonprofit childcare center), Former Treasurer and Member of the Board of Directors
- Chelsea Hicks Foundation, Former Member of the Board of Directors
- Peer Review Committee, OSCPA, Chair
- Nonprofit Strategic Interest Committee, OSCPA, Member
- Nonprofit Conference Subcommittee, OSCPA, Chair
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Member