I always saw myself as having a technical profession. I was good in math and science, and I had an accounting professor in college who, after the very first term, asked if I had thought about a career in accounting. It was that professor’s encouragement that got me interested in accounting.
As I grew in my career, my focus became tax. I enjoy the ability to be creative and use many facets of federal and state rules to help our clients achieve their goals. During the 90s, I worked with a client on an Oregon pollution tax credit, which was a new program at the time. The state wanted to encourage cleanup of environmental issues and our client was willing to invest for the long-term. Working through this project opened my eyes to the state and federal incentive programs available, which can provide a lot of help to growing clients.
To be the best in this profession, you must always be willing to learn. Be prepared to apply what you learn from one client to the next. At HSS, we share our experience in a team environment. Continual professional and personal development is an absolute priority if you’re really going to be prepared to provide clients with the highest level of service and support.
Many of the clients I work with have been with me since 1992. I’m proud they’ve stayed with me and referred so many of their friends. I enjoy being more than just a numbers person. Connecting people, whether it is clients with HSS staff or clients with other clients and associates, brings me joy. I’ve put a lot of effort into building a strong network in the local business community, and I spend a great deal of time maintaining and strengthening those connections. At the end of the day, I most enjoy working with people and the relationships you build over time.
Education and Licensing
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Business Administration, Accounting, Portland State University (Beta Gamma Sigma honor society)
- Licensed to practice in Oregon
- Continuing education leader, trainer and presenter at industry conferences
Professional and Community Activities
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Member
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA), Member
- HSS Construction Industry Team, Member
- Construction Financial Management Association, Former Treasurer
- Austin Family Business Program of Oregon State University, Former Professional Services Committee Member
- Trauma Intervention Program of Portland/Vancouver, Former Board Member and Treasurer
- Software Association of Oregon, Prior Membership Committee
- Multnomah Athletic Club Toastmasters, Prior Officer
- Beta Alpha Psi Honors Accounting Fraternity, Prior Officer